Saturday 3 September 2011

Dusty Smiles


The dusty smiles settled
Voices ring in my ear
Rusty,
Simply red-like
Holding back the years
Of Laughter
Resonant with mothers, aunts
Their mothers and others
From an era sadly bygone
What time we'd forgone
In confinement
Each to their own
Moments as if stolen
From when I was six
1998 again

The homes I grew up in. My Nan still lives in the house on the right. 
We sang a song in school back then
Yesterday once more,
We'll meet again some sunny day
We'd say
Never thought I'd need to mean it
But now I feel it
Feel the need to say
Who'd have known I'd feel at all
Back when I didn't feel the need

Was it all together then?
I'd like to say it so,
What a blessing
To count when I couldn't
And now I hope they stay
It took loss for this gain
Heart engulfing pain
I prayed and prayed
For this but not for that
I didn't choose
But want to keep this and hold it close
Smiles that crept from pain
Like the scarlet concrete rose

No comments:

Post a Comment